Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Summer Care for your Hair


As we are officially 19 days from the first day of summer, I feel it is my duty to share with you ladies (and gentlemen) some tips to keep your locs in tip-top shape for the summer to make sure your hair is not dull and damaged by the time Fall rolls around. (And for those of you still a part of the dark side (relaxers) I'm sure these will help you, too!

1. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize: It's important to keep hair moisturized 24/7/365, so summertime is even more important. With sun exposure being inevitable, it's super important to ensure that our hair maintains its moisture. Sun can dry out hair (and skin), so it's so very important to find a daily moisturizer to keep our hair soft and shiny without being greasy. Some items to try are Carol's Daughter Hair Milk, Frederick Benjamin Daily Hydrator, or any natural product with jojoba, avocado, or olive oil.

2. Wear or use a satin hair cap/pillowcase: Cotton pillowcases have a tendency to break hair and cause split ends, so to protect your tresses sleep wearing a satin scarf (we should all be used to it as our mothers wrapped our hair as little girls) or sleep with a satin pillowcase. Satin is a soft fabric that protects hair from breakage.

3. Use an umbrella when going out: Yes, it may sound crazy if it's not raining, but using an umbrella at an outdoor festival, the beach, or bbq will protect your tresses from sun damage. Yes, we all love being outside on a gorgeous, but you don't want to sacrifice your beautiful tresses, do you?!?!

4. For my swimmers, condition your hair pre-pool and wear a swim cap: Another not so cute girl move, but wearing a swim cap will protect hair from chlorine damage...and any other unnatural thing that may be in pool water! Also, pre-conditioning your hair will protect the hair shaft from chlorine damage.

5. Get some fake hair: Yes, I said it, and I'll say it again...GET SOME FAKE HAIR! Yes, I'm a proponent of some weave (as we all know from a previous post), and there is nothing wrong with that. I believe in protecting my hair by any means necessary. So if I have to add somebody else's hair to my hair, I'm willing to make that sacrifice! As long as my hair is braided and the weave is done right, I shouldn't have any problems with keeping my tresses healthy and bringing letting them breathe in the fall.

I hope these tips help. I'm sure there are plenty more, so if I've missed a few, feel free to add some. Until next time, stay nappturally beautiful.

1 comment: