Friday, June 4, 2010

Isn't She Lovely: Part I

Well, it's finally here-the beginning of the "Isn't She Lovely" series. As mentioned in an earlier post, I am beginning to highlight some ladies whom I think have a great natural hair story and have some tips that we can learn from. First up, is Miss Tamieka.

How long have you been natural/when was the last time you received a relaxer/texturizer? My last perm was June of 2007 (I think)
Why did you decide to go natural? My hair has never done well with a perm., and after coming to DC and seeing so many women embracing their natural texture, not perming anymore was just a natural step. After a few months after my last perm, I realized it had been a long time since I had a perm and I didn’t see any point in getting one.

How did you transition to natural hair? I gradually cut my perm out while transitioning with braids.
What is your favorite way to style your hair? Braidouts. My hair shrinks up a lot so if I want my hair to look like it has any length at all I have to either to twist outs or braidout. I find that braidouts give me more definition.
What is your favorite product to use on your hair? I love Butter-N-Bars.com’s Conditioning Hair Masque. It loosens the curl patter a little, long enough to comb through it easily and do great braidouts. Plus it leaves my hair super soft. In my opinion no type 4 should be without it.
What is your worst natural hair memory/worst hair disaster? Too many list. But the most recent was when I went to a beauty school for a roller set. It was the worse thing ever. I should have gotten up from the chair as soon as she tried to put a comb through my dry hair. Yikes!
Do you think you’ll be natural the rest of your life? Yes. I cannot imagine ever going back to the creamy crack. However if I ever left DC, depending on the location, I recognize there might be a chance I’d have to wear my hair straight. (I know I never have to , but you get what I’m saying).
Have you read any books or blogs that have aided you in your natural hair journey? Again, too many to list. I love curlynikki.com, textureplayground.com, newlynatural.com, motowngirl.com, and Nappturality.com
Has being natural done anything for your self-esteem? It has reminded me like India says, “I am not my hair”.I don’t have to hide behind hair, I have learned to love my face whether my hair is braided, twisted or in a TWA. I feel most true to myself when my hair is in its natural state.
What are some comments you have received from family/friends/strangers regarding your natural hair, positive or negative? Well almost all of my friends are natural (all but maybe 2 or 3) or transitioning, so I get lot of positive feedback from them. My mom was nervous at first but she loves it. My dad, surprisingly enough loved it from the start. (he’s old school so I was expecting him to object). The only person who is not ok with my decision to wear my hair natural is my boyfriend’s mother, though I’m not sure why she cares *shrugs*

Thanks to Tamieka for agreeing to be featured on The Natural Girl Diaries. I really appreciate it! If you have any questions, comments, or want to share based on Tameika's comments, feel free! Until next time, stay nappturally beautiful!

2 comments:

  1. I love reading about other ladies' natural hair journeys.DC is a very encouraging and supportive place for those of us who decide to get back to our roots in terms of hair. I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to do it! Lovely pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just reading some articles on your blog (specifically about the keratin treatment!) and I would love if you could take a look at our company - and provide your readers with a product review for Shielo products. Shielo is an established haircare line that has become popular in salons across New York and Paris. Our Volume Line, which contains keratins, is our most popular line. http://www.shielo.com

    If you are interested, let me know (1) your address so we can mail you samples, and (2) which samples you would like to try, i.e Color Protect, Volume, Hydrate etc.

    If you believe another arrangement may work best for your readers (i.e. like a giveaway), we are open to suggestions. Thank you for your consideration.

    --
    Natalie Jolee
    M&S Associate
    njolee@shielo.com
    Shielo Hair
    http://www.shielo.com

    ReplyDelete