Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tips to Keep Your Blowout Straight

So far so good on this workout thing. To be honest, today is really my first day working out this week! But I felt alive, awake, and alert! Working out in the morning is going to have to become a regular thing! As I had a few minutes today to read some articles, I came across this article on Essence.com (click on the title to read the article) on how to maintain your straight locks after a blowout. Now, I know the celebrities they picture are supposed to look like they just stepped out of a salon (which they probably did) and probably don't have natural hair, the tips are worth sharing. So as you look at pics of Alicia Keys, Zoe Saldana, and Veronica Webb, just to name a few, pay attention to the tips Essence provides. Now, I'm not advocating these tips as working, but I can say I (try to) brush my hair every night at least 100 times. (Brushing and combing hair daily is listed as one of the tips). So you may ask what I did with my hair today? I wrapped it as I worked out, blew it dry (it was a little damp after my workout), then flat ironed it. Now, I know in my previous post I mentioned not to put too much heat on your hair. I kept the temperature in the low 300's; I think the setting was on 302 or 311. My hair is still shiny and straight. But after getting it done over a week ago I'm very excited about my upcoming appointment this weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I have been going to the gym since August (2009) and having pressed hair has been a definite problem. I go three times a week and get my hair straightened every other week. After every workout I have to go home and retouch the roots that were sweated out. It has been such a headache, but I love having natural hair. It doesn't make sense to go to the gym and not push myself in order to sweat less because that would be wasting a gym membership. I've tried wearing my hair in a tight bun while wearing a wide headband UNDER a scarf, but my scalp still sweats. I have found a huge difference from wearing a bun versus a loose ponytail and having an oiled scalp versus a dry scalp. It worked a little better for me. I was just tired of the back and forth with my hair and extra maintenance from going to the gym. I love having natural hair and have a newfound love for going to the gym. My recent solution was to get my own hair braided. My beautician braids my hair in different styles every other week. Braids last longer for me than twists because the hair is intertwined. I went to the gym tonight and was relieved to be able to not worry about my scalp sweating or smelling my hair revert back to its natural state. My scalp was able to breath and I was able to push myself to the limit. I know my hair is healthier also from not using any heat whatsoever. I just need to make sure my scalp and hair stay moisturized. Great topic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I found this post. I just did my first blowout tonight and I'm concerned about working out. I guess I have to look like Aunt Jemina at the gym so I don't sweat out my blowout :)

    I've been natural for two years now and I need a different look.

    ReplyDelete