Monday, January 11, 2010

The Beginning...

About 3 1/2 years ago I decided to go natural; for those of you that don't understand that means I decided to stop getting my hair chemically relaxed. I did this for two main reasons. One, after seeing multiple friends with their natural hair styles I began to wonder what my hair would look like it in its natural state. They had all styles from straight/sleek to curly to fro'd out. I love the versatility that I saw my natural friends having, and I wanted to experience it for myself. The second reason I wanted to go natural was because I saw the damage that getting your hair relaxed on a regular basis could do to your scalp...not on the OUTSIDE but on the INSIDE. I saw a picture of a woman's scalp who had been getting relaxers for 20 years. It was VERY black and looked unhealthy. This picture was next to a woman who had not had relaxers in a number of years; her scalp was a healthy, pink color. After I saw that picture, and two of my linesisters at the Atlanta Classic in 2006, I officially stopped getting my hair relaxed.
Needless to say, this has been a tumultuous journey, from finding what products to use, finding styles for my hair, and finding a stylist who knows how to do natural hair, but I'm still on it! This blog will serve as a way for me to share my feelings and stories of dealing with my natural hair and as a way for all of us natural girls to share our resources and suggestions. This can also serve as motivation or a swift kick for those girls who are thinking about going natural and need some encouragement, guidance, etc. So, happy reading, and stay truly napptural...

No comments:

Post a Comment